"Creative block", I'm sure most of you have heard of that maybe some of you have experienced it. A creative block is when you come to a time in your life, could be an hour, a day, a month, even a year, when you lack creativity and no creative thoughts are flowing through your mind. As a photographer I depend on these creative thoughts day to day, so I have found multiple ways to stay creative (even on the bad days). Here are a couple of my best tips for staying creative!
1. Write down EVERYTHING... Not lying at all. Write write write! You have a dream? Write it down. You randomly have a creative vision, write it down. Maybe you're thinking about complete nonsense but it sparks anything creative from poetry to a painting, write it down. That way you are strengthening your creativity! Like any skill it must be practiced, if you stop creating art slowly your creative thoughts start to slow down. So keep writing them down so they keep coming!
2. Music! When all else fails I will listen to ambient, or instrumental music. Something without lyrics so my mind will create it's own story then I refer to step number one.. I write it down :)
3. Sharing ideas with other creative people. My closes friends are very very creative! I love to bounce ideas off them and see what kind of feedback they have. This often leads to my best photoshoots!
4. Spend time alone, outside. If I take time alone, outside, maybe on a walk or a bike ride I often spark new creative ideas... then when I get home I write them down :P
5. I look at older pieces of work. I want to one day be a fashion photographer so I study Vogue and different fashion magazines from the 80's and 90's to inspire my work. A lot of old trends make their way back sooner or later!
Lastly! I BRING MY CAMERA EVERYWHERE! This way I train my eye to see the beauty in many things!
I hope this helps some of my fellow creative friends out there :)
Your Summer Intern,